Thursday, January 12, 2012

One potato, two potato, three potato, Potato Skins!!


I was browsing the net the other day and came across an interesting article on the origin of potato skins from the Idaho Potato Commission. I hadn't previously considered the origin of what has become a staple in restaurants across America as well as a must have for football season.

Here at the 6' House Pub we have awesome potato skins on our pub menu! Potato Skins $6.96 with crispy bacon crumbles & cheddar,or broccoli & cheddar~served with scallions & sour cream.

But to digress, a bit from the Idaho Potato Commission's website: The inspiration for the potato skins at R.J. Grunts, one of the first restaurants to offer the now omnipresent dish, came from a radio story about sailors eating the vitamin-rich skins to ward off illness while at sea, he says. “My brother relayed the story, and I said, ‘OK, let’s monkey around with potato skins,’” Melman says.  “I’ve always been a person who pays attention to what people say.  It usually leads me to the new ideas I’ve tried.”

I thought this was pretty interesting and decided to do a little more digging on the history of the potato skin dish as we know it and found a hilarious quote about TGI Fridays: T.G.I. Friday's History and Potato Skins: In 1965, perfume salesman Alan Stillman bought a broken down beer joint in New York City. He remodeled it and named it T.G.I. Friday's to attract the "career crowd". Within one week, police had to barricade the area to help control the crowds flocking to the restaurant. His only goal at that time was to meet single women in the area. The rest is history. In 1974, They invented potato skins.

Now in the interest of leaving you with thought's of potato plum fairies dancing in your heads, I give you the potato song and hopefully a laugh or two:


Don't forget to check out our menu at http://www.6housepub.com/dinner.htm and get an order of OUR potato skins, they are delicious!







No comments:

Post a Comment